Tuesday 11 November 2014

My Top 5 Favourite Teen Romance Novels



If you are a regular to my lovely little blog you will probably know that I like teen romantic fiction. A lot. Instead of going to wild parties like most teenagers in this country do, I love to curl up on a Friday night with a mug of hot chocolate, a cosy blanket, a box of tissues close to hand and a good bit of chick-lit in my lap. I’ve read an awful lot of romance fiction in my time and I thought that, what with my experience and all, I’d give you a little idea of what to look out for! So, without further ado, here is my top 5 favourite Teen Romances!

5. Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison

            Okay, so it may not be the most mature love story out there but it’s still has a warm spot in both my library and my heart. Written as if it were the diary of fourteen year old Georgia Nicolson, ‘Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging’ was the first romance novel that I ever read. I must have been about ten or eleven when I first stole this off of my older sister’s shelf. I was curious as to the contents of a book with the word ‘thong’ on the front cover. I snuck off to my room and read it in secret. It was the funniest book I had ever read. Georgia’s crazy antics and randomnosity had me giggling wildly and though I did not much care for love interest, Robbie, at the time, I still told all the girls in my class at school about it. ‘Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging’ is a book that refuses to take itself seriously
 and that is exactly why it has earned its spot on this list.

4. The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

            When I first read it, I was addicted to this book like crack cocaine. For the day it took to get through it, getting me to do anything was about as easy as trying to walk through a thick brick wall.  ‘The Boyfriend List’ follows Ruby Oliver as, throughout the course of 11 ‘shrink’ appointments, she explores 15 important relationships (not all of which are romantic) that she has had with guys throughout her life. The stories are interesting and well-paced and the narrative is hilarious. This is a romance novel that for once does not actually promote the importance of love, but promotes self-confidence and friendship instead – strange, I know, but it completely works! Start reading it and I promise, you’ll be done before the day is out.


3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (Or any Rainbow Rowell really)

            Would this really be a reliable list if Rainbow Rowell wasn’t on here somewhere? Just thinking about ‘Fangirl’ and its colourful array of characters (particularly tall and lovely, Levi) makes me sigh and drift off into a Rowell induced dream. One of the main reasons I think I loved this book so much was because of its unusual set-up. We all know the story of the cute under-appreciated girl desperately trying to get her high-school crush to notice her, but never before have I heard the tale of one awkward twin, trying to run a successful fan-fiction page and refusing to adapt to her new life at college (University to us Brits)! The difficult changes that happen at college are rarely addressed in teen romance fiction and I absolutely loved ‘Fangirl’ for being one of the first to do so! The whole story was just 
lovely from start to finish. With quirky characters 
and beautiful illustrations, ‘Fangirl’ is definitely one to look out for!

2. 10 Things We Shouldn’t Have Done by Sarah Mlynowski

            I have read this book every single summer for about three years now and it never fails to amaze me. ’10 Things We Shouldn’t Have Done’ is the most unpredictable piece of romantic fiction I have ever read. I found myself laughing with glee at some of the cleverer plot twists. The story follows sixteen year old April as she and her friend Vi spend a year secretly living on their own together while their parents are out of town. Of course, as expected, they abuse this newly-found freedom and after a few wild parties and a washing machine disaster find themselves in a good bit of trouble. Hot-tubs, kittens and drunken mermaid impressions are just three of the 10 things I absolutely loved about this book.


1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


                Oo gosh. My heart still aches a little bit from the brilliance of this one. As regulars to this blog will know, ‘Anna and the French Kiss’ has been one of my favourite books for a very long time. It actually has a whole other blog post to itself – and rightfully so. ‘Anna and the French Kiss’, in my opinion, is the perfect teen romance novel. It has everything you could possibly ask for: a beautiful Parisian setting, a charming romantic interest, and most importantly, a whole lot of nearly-kisses, almost-kisses, not-quite kisses and finally, French kisses. There has never, in all of Waterstones teen section, been a more indulgently romantic novel. It destroyed me emotionally and left my crying on my bed. It really is that good. I may have written this list just so that this book could reign supreme. 
So, join me now, let us raise our metaphorical wine glasses in 
celebration and give a toast: To ‘Anna and the French Kiss’! 




6 comments:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on Anna and the French Kiss. And I have been meaning to read fangirl - it sounds really good. I'm just a bit worried to read it because I wasn't a huge fan of Eleanor and Park but I might have to give this one a go. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say the two books are really different actually! I know Rowell isn't to everyone's taste but I would give her a second chance :D Thankyou very much though :D Thanks for even reading my thing in the first place and double thanks for feedback :3

      Delete
  2. I think I started The Boyfriend List during exam time because I needed a break. I'm not sure I finished it, gah. I need to get back on track. I wasn't a big fan of Fangirl (pun pun pun) but I suppose the romance was cute. Aand finally, Anna! I agree with what you think. It's one of the sweetest teen romance novels I've read! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the boyfriend list but I had a free day so I really took the time to read it :3 You should try it again, it overuses footnotes but other than that I can't fault it :D Love the pun! Puns are always welcome on my blog!! Anna I think is everyone's favourite, for good reason I think! It's my favourite book eveeeerrrrr

      Delete
  3. I'm not really a fan of romance novels. I love books with romance though XD
    This post really made me want to read The Boyfriend List and 10 Things We Shouldn't Have Done. They intrigued me enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats fair! I personally don't think a book is complete without a little lurveee! I totally crave romance and book relationships! It's like a drug. BUT DO READ THEM! Oh my please!! Especially 10 Things. That book is so so so good!!! Ahhhh, Izzy, I'm so excited for you getting to read them for the first time!!

      Delete